The Chatham Manor is a luxury resort that sits on the banks of the Shenandoah River in Fredericksburg, Virginia. It has been a popular destination for vacationers since the 1960s. In the years since, the manor has expanded to become one of the area’s top hotels. With a variety of dining options, the resort also offers a spa and an extensive golf course. A fantastic article to read.
During the Civil War
When the Civil War began, Chatham Manor was the main house of the plantation. It was owned by the Lacy family and the antebellum history of the estate included guest visits by future Confederate general Robert E. Lee.
After the war, the property was sold to J. Horace Lacy, who was the husband of Hannah’s younger half-sister Betty. He then left the home to serve in the Confederate Army as a staff officer. His wife and their children abandoned the home when the Union army came close to the estate.
The Lacy family had moved to a safer location in Virginia. They sold Chatham Manor in 1872. However, the mansion was severely damaged during the war and was not restored to its former glory until the 1920s.
Chatham was used as a field hospital for the US Army during the Battle of Fredericksburg. The Union Army called it “Lacy House” in its reports and letters.
Before the Civil War
Chatham Manor, which is now owned by the National Park Service, was a prominent site during the Civil War. It is located on the Stafford Heights above the Rappahannock River. The house was constructed between 1768 and 1771 by William Fitzhugh. A large number of slaves worked on the plantation.
When the war broke out, James Horace Lacy became a Confederate officer. His family lived at the Chatham mansion for several years. However, the family had to leave when the Union forces advanced toward Fredericksburg in March 1862. They eventually moved to a safer part of Virginia.
In the years after the war, the Lacys could no longer maintain their extravagant lifestyle. As a result, the family sold the Chatham mansion. By the end of the Civil War, the family’s net worth had plummeted from $180,000 to about $2,000.
After the death of the last private owner, the property was left to the National Park Service. Since 1975, it has been open to the public. Visitors are welcomed to Chatham at 9 am to 4:30 pm. Browse around this site to check more places to visit.
After the Civil War
One of the most famous landmarks in America, Chatham Manor in Fredericksburg VA, is a beautiful plantation manor that has stood the test of time. With a history dating back to the settlement of Southern Virginia, it is one of the most important landmarks in our nation’s history.
When the Civil War began, Chatham was owned by James Horace Lacy. He was a former schoolteacher who sympathized with the Confederacy. After the war, his family sold the property.
Before the Civil War, James Horace Lacy’s wife and his half-sister, Betty, and their children had remained at Chatham. However, the Lacy family was forced to leave in the spring of 1862.
The Union army occupied Chatham for the next thirteen months. For a time, the house was used as a temporary hospital for wounded soldiers. There, hundreds of Union soldiers sought medical attention. Army surgeons performed countless amputations and other operations.
At Chatham, many notables helped care for the wounded, including Clara Barton. She founded the American chapter of the International Red Cross.
Chatham Manor is a historic plantation home in Fredericksburg, Virginia. It is part of the Fredericksburg & Spotsylvania National Military Park. You can visit the house and grounds for free.
Chatham Manor is located on a bluff overlooking the Rappahannock River. It is open to the public from 9:30 am to 4:30 pm. The grounds have extensive plantings and shrub-mazes. They are also used as a headquarters for the National Park Service.
It is a wonderful place to visit. During the Civil War, Chatham Manor was a Union command post and hospital. Many soldiers were buried here.
When the war ended, Chatham was abandoned by the Confederate owner. However, the Lacy family continued to live at the house. In 1862, the Union took over the property. After that, the Union Army converted the house into a field hospital.
During the Civil War, there was a great deal of damage done to the house. But in the 1920s, a couple named Helen and Daniel Devore purchased the house and made it a showpiece. Click here for the next blog post.
Driving directions from Red Door Pro Wash to Chatham Manor
Driving directions from Chatham Manor to Aquia Landing Park